The cruise ship industry is in an uproar about the wreck of a ship that capsized in the Mediterranean in November 2015, killing at least 100 people.
On Friday, cruise ship owner Carnival Corporation announced plans to replace the Costa Concordia, a popular luxury liner that had been a fixture on the cruise ship scene for decades.
Carnival will replace the cruise ships that were on the market before the wreck, including the Carnival De Ville, Carnival Princess and Carnival Triumph.
According to a statement on Carnival’s website, the replacement cruise ships will include: “New technology and safety systems, as well as new ship designs, and a more refined cabin for guests.”
Carnival plans to take a look at the latest ship designs that are already under development, according to a company spokesperson.
According a report by The Associated Press, the new cruise ships would feature a more streamlined cabin, which will include improved air conditioning, new cabin amenities and better air conditioning for crew members.
However, the most likely replacements for the cruise lines are the Carnival Princess, Carnival Triumph and Carnival De Valle, which were launched in 2017.
Carnival is currently under investigation by the U.S. Coast Guard for its safety record.
Carnival says the cruise line’s fleet of 845 vessels has an annual capacity of over 3 million people, with around 6 percent of them being foreign-flagged vessels.
Carnival Cruises’ president and CEO, Tony Fernandes, was not available for comment.
Carnival CEO Fernandes previously said in 2016 that the cruise industry would be the safest in the world in 2025.
He said, “We are making the best cruise ship in the history of the industry.”
Carnival did not immediately respond to CNBC’s request for comment on this story.