Princess cruise ship disaster: ‘We need to have a plan for what happens if something like this happens’

A cruise ship has been destroyed by a fire that broke out during a storm, killing at least six people and injuring more than 100 others.

The Princess Cruises ship, which left Southampton and was heading to Australia, was hit by the fire on Sunday afternoon (local time) when a fire started on the bow of the vessel and ripped through a cargo hold.

A fire on board a Princess cruise liner.

The crew and crew are safe and are waiting for the ship to be repaired.

The ship has a lifeboat on board, which has been taken to a nearby beach.

The Royal Caribbean ship was travelling from St Kitts and Nevis to Darwin when the fire started, the ship’s director of operations, Simon McVean, said.

The fire broke out on the first deck of the ship, a cargo room, and spread to the other decks, Mr McVane said.

“It was a pretty bad fire.

It was extremely destructive, the crew and everybody on board were very lucky to escape unharmed,” he said.

It took more than three hours for the fire to be extinguished.

The captain and crew were not injured and were being taken to hospital, Mr MacVean said.

Firefighters have been dispatched to the scene and have been working on extinguishing the blaze.

A Royal Caribbean spokesperson said that all onboard lifeboats had been evacuated and the ship was on a collision course with another ship, while it was awaiting repairs.

“The Royal Bahamas, the Princess Cruise, and the Princess Serenity are all safe and well,” the spokesperson said.

There were about 150 people on board the ship when the blaze broke out.