By Medical News Now – 8 August 2018 – 14:07:58The virus has taken hold on the shores of the Caribbean islands of St Kitts and Nevis, as the first cases have been confirmed in the southern French island of Saba, and there is increasing concern about the spread of the virus in other countries in the region.
The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday that it was working to determine the scope of the outbreak and the number of cases.
In the Caribbean, at least 17 people have died, the WHO said.
In St Kitt and NevIS, where the first confirmed case was recorded on Thursday, the country’s Ministry of Health said three more cases had been confirmed.
A spokeswoman for the hospital in the town of Pimco said the patients were in intensive care, but did not elaborate.
“We are aware of two patients in intensive isolation,” she said.
St Kitt and Villers-Bergue reported its first confirmed cases on Thursday.
It said on Saturday that it had also received two more confirmed cases of Ebola on Friday.
The WHO said that the new cases were the first recorded on St Kitt Island since January 2018, when the country began monitoring its borders with Guinea and Sierra Leone.
In Sierra Leone, WHO director-general Dr Adrian Dennison said on Sunday that two additional cases were confirmed.
He said the cases were in the same town of Bongiorno, which is just outside of the capital, Freetown.
“They are also close to Freetower, which was the centre of the epidemic,” he said.
He added that there was no indication that the virus was spreading to other areas of the country.
“I have seen that a few hospitals in Freetour are having difficulties in handling patients,” he added.